Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Learning to use iTunes

When I got in to work today iTunes had been installed on my laptop! I immediately plugged in my iPod and began clicking around. It seemed obvious how to go to the iTunes store and purchase something but how did I put my own files in here? I finally clicked on “Files” and brought the podcasts from Dr. Yuen’s page that I had saved into the program. Okay. Now how do I put something from an online podcast in here? After reading the instructions at The SirsiDynix Institute: http://www.sirsidynixinstitute.com/podcast.php I figured out how to subscribe to a podcast. All I had to do for the individual files was save them and bring them in to the library. I found some “vodcasts” at Cal State University Fullerton : http://faculty.fullerton.edu/rclemens/Nursing.htm and loaded one up. Great. Everything is in iTunes. Now how do I get it on my iPod? Finally I saw a menu option on the left side for my “device.” I clicked on it and found out how I could sync my podcasts and videos. I created some new playlists to organize my audio files but they are still listed as “music.” And the vodcast went to “Movies” instead of Video Podcasts. Now how can I find more stuff to put on here? I went to NPR.org and discovered a gold mine of podcasts. My heart sped up and I started envisioning spending every minute of the day cramming random news and trivia into my brain while doing other tasks. The iPod was becoming more valuable to me by the second. I looked at it and felt a sense of panic. It’s so small! What if I lose it? What if someone walks off with it? What if I drop it in the dishwater? I make a vow to purchase a little iPod holster like Dr. Xue’s as soon as possible. The mystery of the students with white cords hanging from their ears is finally solved.

No comments: